Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What I Hear Now

I hear birds! I hear voices from afar! I hear sibilant sounds!

But it's not an immediate success story. What I know I'm hearing and what it actually sounds like are two different things.

I hear squeaky toys! I hear power drills! Sounds are nuanced in the way that, say, chainsaws and mitre saws are nuanced.

Actually, there are moments when it sounds like someone is stabbing me in the head repeatedly. My brain is saying OMG and WTF in Morse code. Voices are still intermittent bursts of static. I recognize the beat of my favorite songs but can't hear anything else. I tried out a Felix Da Housecat electro-house song, thinking it might be comparatively easy listening. It sounded like the Tin Man doing kegels. Pardon my French, but a robot is shitting in my head.

Strangely enough, my brain is already making sense of all this chaos. I recognize my mom and dad's voices, though after two days, they are both still getting the Darth Vader effect. Even stranger, their voices seem almost normal when I'm lip-reading them. I hear the 'ssssssss' sound, which I can't remember ever hearing. Sparrows are shrieking in the bush by my front porch. A baby robin across the street has set off a fire alarm. A few things sound normal. The tapping of my computer keyboard, or flipping the pages of a book.

The loudest sound in the world is a paper bag being crinkled. Toilets flushing and helicopters are a close second. My guitar sounds interesting. Playing what should be simple, relaxing arpeggios, it sounds like Devo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Great. So what were the memories of sounds like? I guess it'd be hard to explain. I'm trying to "picture" it for myself. It's a little mind blowing :o)

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I think I got it. I was just remembering some old sounds I haven't heard in a while myself.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home