Monday, May 08, 2006

Old Sukhothai


This will be the last post for the day. Sorry if I'm going on and on-- this blog is as much for myself as anybody, and though I'm also keeping a written journal, it's nice to express myself this way when I can.

I'm staying at a place called the Old Town Guesthouse in Old Sukhothai. I ventured out across the street to nearby ruins as ominous clouds moved in. I've been telling myself, "Let it rain, let it be hot, it's all fine." Really, it hasn't seemed that hot to me, though I am showering three times a day. It's a state of mind and by choosing to come here I've chosen to accept the weather as is. Yesterday I was even caught in the rain at Lopburi, and I simply put my camera and notebook in a Ziplock bag and put on my rain hat.

Well, today I got poured on. I walked through a beautiful, well-preserved wat before it started raining. There were twenty foot tall stone Buddhas and when it started raining I stood under the outstretched hands of one of the Buddhas. I like that poetic symbolism. Soon there were huge booms of thunder and lightning, including one that was practically on top of me. The coconut palms and bodhi trees were rocking back and forth. I got soaked as I ran to an old stone shelter and watched the storm. After a while, I realized it wasn't going to stop raining any time soon and I opened my umbrella, proceeding to get soaked on my return to the guesthouse. Well, I dried off quickly and it stopped raining an hour later, bringing in nice, cool weather and lush greenness.

Old Sukhothai is surrounded by green hills and I walked through the market before coming to this internet cafe. The power had gone out and under the covered awnings vendors were selling their wares by candlelight.

I am definitely going to be here for a few days, at least. I really like it here.

I wanted to do another post about street and train food, but I'll have to save it for another time. It's absolutely delicious.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Franz,
You're right, tourism is so heavy in Thailand that I can go on to the internet and find the locations of internet cafes, guesthouses, and the ruins. Who knows, maybe I am looking at a virtual internet cafe while you are in the real one writing an email to me and others. The old city looks amazing; I'm sure the pictures of the "ruins" do not do justice to their beauty.
l & g,
AMK

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home