Sunday, April 30, 2006

Leaving tomorrow, haircut

It's a beautiful day in Portland and I've been finishing up my last odds and ends before leaving tomorrow. I'll be flying to San Francisco and hanging out with my old friend Jeremy for a few days. Then it will be off to Bangkok in the small hours of Thursday morning. I've been talking with another friend, Sheila, about traveling together in Cambodia and Thailand, and I hope it works out. As of this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to extend my trip another two weeks-- until the last week of July. However, to get the return date changed for free, I have to wait until I get there.

Last but not least, I shaved off all the hair. The new haircut has had a reverse Samson effect. Sure, it may not be the most flatteriing haircut, but on some visceral level it means I'm letting go, at least for the time being, with preconceptions of how I should look, and even more importantly, with how my friends see me. I feel like a new man.



Why do I always look so sad and existential in these photos I post? It's because I look so damn goofy with a shaved head and a big grin on my face. I am, quite honestly, feeling exhilarated.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even your own mother did not recognize you!! No need to take shampoo.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Chris Stamm said...

I think this intense look suits you. The new and improved Franz, now with less cuddle.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Franz, it's Joe's friend from Portland here... writing from Tel Aviv. I'm sending you wonderful travel wishes and hoping to exchange stories sometime in the future.
PS: The new shaved Franz looks rad.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am doing a story on 'deaf'. So want to meet u. How is it possible ? Where can I meet u ?

Sabina

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home