Sunday, April 23, 2006

An Itinerary for Your Amusement...

Since I've had months to ruminate on the particulars of this trip, I've put together a loose itinerary of what I plan to do. When I get the wanderlust, I have the tendency to get into bull-headed, full-throttle ahead traveling mode. I get an idea of what I want to do and then I stick to it. In a lot of ways, this is the way I live my life as well, but the tradeoff is a lack of flexibility. I'll find myself spinning my wheels and standing my ground stubbornly if things don't work out. That's not what I want. I've just started doing yoga again and of course a big part of this trip is getting my brain to stretch more. If I end up following this itinerary, wonderful. If not, that's even better.

I'll be landing in Bangkok at noon on May 5th. The advantage of the daytime flight (most flights into Bangkok come in at night, I've heard) is that I can go directly to the train station and head to Ayuthaya, which is only a couple of hours north of Bangkok. I only just realized this last night, and I'm already doing some itinerary-tweaking. I'd rather save BKK's intense urban feel for last, and adjust to the inevitable culture shock in a more low-key place.

Ayuthaya, as well as Sukhothai further north, are on my list as must-sees. They are both UNESCO World Heritage sites-- the ancient Siamese kingdoms go back to the 1300's and are full of wats, temples and palaces. It's important for me to get the historical and cultural context of Thailand, and I have a fascination and a deep respect for the temples of the east after numerous amazing experiences in the temples of India and Nepal (while on the other hand, the likes of Notre Dame didn't quite have the same effect-- sorry, Europe).

North of Sukhothai I plan to go to Chiang Mai and use the city as a launching point to other northern Thai cities, such as Nan and Pai. I know a lot of people think beaches when they think Thailand, but I think of the jungles and mountainous regions of the north. After two or three weeks in that area, I hope to cross the border at Hong Xuai into Laos (see? I already said "hope"-- this itinerary is starting to get amorphous). There's a two day boat ride down the Mekong to Luang Prabang, another UNESCO site as well as an incredible backpacking destination in its own right. There are plenty of day-trips in the region to caves, small villages and the jungle. After Luang Prabang, I'll pass through Vang Vieng, which wouldn't interest me (it's so touristy now), except for the presence of an organic farm just north of town, where I just might volunteer for a week, depending on how my trip is going and whether they need me. Then it's south to Ventiane, the capital, where I'll spend a few days.

From there, I might continue south in Laos or I might cross back into Thailand and head to Cambodia for Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh. Also high on my list is Ko Chang, which is a national park and an island with beautiful beaches, thus satisfying a little bit of the beach vibe while allowing me to prove my sanity when I return to the states. (You didn't go to the beach? In Thailand?!! Are you crazy?)

There are a few other places I'd like to fit in-- more time in Cambodia, a side trip to Ho Chi Minh, a trip to Phetchaburi a few hours south of Bangkok, but I'll probably only get a chance to do the last of those three. I don't want this to be a whirlwind trip, and there's only so much I can see in 70 days. Well, feel free to laugh at this and disregard. I'm certainly very curious how my actual trip will play out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home