Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Missing Portland and sandals for a big boy

Yesterday I went down to the Sandy River with a few friends. We waded out to a small island and sat on the beach with Scots Broom and small cottonwoods as windbreak. It was a beautiful day, and there were hawks, osprey and turkey vultures wheeling overhead. It was Chad's birthday and he's California dreamin', so Hunter said. We've all got some form of travel on our minds. Hunter showed me photos from his SE Asia travels of two years ago, offering pointers and also further whetting my appetite. The current was fast from Mount Hood snowmelt, the water cold and refreshing. We had a beautiful view of the cliffs on the far side of the river.

In short, I'm going to miss Portland and the Pacific Northwest, though I'm excited to be going to Baltimore. When I visited the Hopkins campus, the magnolias and cherry blossoms had all bloomed with the first lustiness of spring. I allowed myself to believe, at least for a moment, that I could live without the lush year-round greenness of the Pacific Northwest.
Anyway, it should be plenty green in Thailand. I checked the ten day weather forecasts for Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Vientiane and Phnom Penh, and they were all about the same. Highs in the 90s and scattered T-storms everyday (I do think there was a sunny day projected for Phnom Penh about a week from now).

And I found a pair of sandals that actually fit me at Next Adventure today. Used Tevas and a very good deal overall, making up for the kiddie sandals I've got. Also on the supply front, I purchased another memory stick for my digital camera as well as NiMh rechargeable batteries and a charger. Something about packing these technological items seems deeply incongruous to me, though I can't say exactly why. I don't want to be dependent on modern amenities. I'm not going over there to watch TV or surf the web. And I'm even planning on avoiding air conditioning as much as possible. I'd rather be one with the weather, the world and me in a state of constant liquidity and 98.6 degrees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home