Saturday, September 09, 2006

My Community

I've met so many people here these past three weeks. I already have a solid, exciting community. The writers here are an amazing group. Last Thursday, we were out until 3 am at Spirits Tavern in Fells Point, one of Baltimore's most historic and beautiful areas. Friday I went out to dinner with my new roommate Danny. Saturday I went to the farmer's market and then to lunch in Hampden with a few of the poets. Sunday we had a movie night. Monday there was an out of town Labor Day party near Monkton. We were out in a wooded area, and there were horses and two goats named Isaac on the property.
During my three day teaching orientation last week, I was amazed at how intelligent and unique all of my classmates are. As the head of the department said, we won't all make it, but some of us will, and this is a community we are forming for life. We have New Yorkers, southerners and midwesterners in abundance, a wide variety of minds and ideas even if they are mostly (and unfortunately) manifested in the bodies and experiences of white men. We would all like more racial and gender diversity, but then, this is such a smart and qualified group we can't really complain.

I've also had the chance to meet a lot of other people here, including B-morers and John Waters' type characters. I've met my neighbors, including an older woman who told me about the history of Hampden. I love being in a neighborhood with lots of elderly. I've finally realized what an ageist city that Portland is, much as I love it.

I've made friends through Red Emma's Coffeeshop, including an environmental activist. Her name, ironically enough, is Kate, and she's the first friend I made in Baltimore. A few weeks ago we went out for a hike at Gunpowder Falls State Park, which is absolutely gorgeous, and will become even more so with the fall colors. I'm realizing that B-more has its fair share of hipsters, creators, and the up and coming, but what has really grown on me is its unpretentious side. I have never been in a city with so many people who were so welcoming to strangers. Most people here who have had experiences with Portland found it to be a very unfriendly, clique-ish town. You can't imagine my surprise when I heard that! But then, compared to B-more, where the neighbors stop by and introduce themselves, and I can talk with people of all different backgrounds and races, yes, Portland is pretty exclusive and more than a little sullen, especially in winter.

I do really miss Portland, though! I'm back at work on a novel that takes place in Portland, down to the bridges, the streets, even the houses. Portland will always have a special place in my heart, and it may still be my home again some day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home