Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Angkor Wat; Recovering

It's been a while since I've posted. I haven't had the energy. Leaving Phnom Penh for Kratie last week, I was slammed by a nasty bug and I'm only now just about fully recovered from it. I slept the first 24 hours and most of the next 24 hours as well, with a Tylenol-laced reprieve to see Kratie's critically endangered Irawaddy freshwater dolphins.

That was an incredible experience. Pairs of the dolphins circled us on the Mekong, and there were cranes wheeling overhead. For the three hours I was out, I actually felt wonderful.

That didn't last long. Returning to Phnom Penh all the symptoms continued, plus a few more. I had headaches, eyeaches, chills, shits, dizziness, all-out exhaustion.

Three days ago we came up to Siem Reap and my first day here I just had to take it easy. I was in no shape to see Angkor Wat. I stepped off the bus and I had cramps in my calves from dehydration.

In the future, I'll take my chances with malaria before taking Doxycycline again. Because it's an antibiotic, it's knocked out any natural immunity my stomach has, and as a result, this sickness hit me harder than anything since before I was in college.

The last two days, however, I've been feeling much better. We've explored Ankor Wat as well as the other major temples of Angkor. It's quite overwhelming.

Anyway, I'm glad to be alive, and once again, well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home