Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sick, continued; meeting Thai Deaf people

So the sickness went like this:
1 day fever and headache
1 day shits
And then I was better.
I can't believe that bush doctor wanted to dose me with Paramecetol.

Anyway, if there was anything good that came out of being under the weather, it kept me in Chiang Mai for the Sunday Market. Most of the main streets through the city were closed down and there were all kinds of fine arts and crafts for sale. I met two Thai Deaf women and I was amazed to find that the sign language they spoke is incredibly similar to American Sign Language. I ended up getting introduced to another half dozen Deaf people and spending the evening with them.

It started raining hard early in the evening so four of us waited in the shelter of a bar across the street. I wish I could say their names but there is no written translation for a name sign.

Pretty quickly it became obvious that one of the girls wanted to be my Thai girlfriend. She wanted to go to Pai together, talked about other farang boyfriends she had had, etc. All this despite the fact that I told her I had a girlfriend and no interest in having a Thai girlfriend.

I took the three of them out to eat at a place called Aroon's. It was pouring out. By the end of the meal the other two Deaf girls wanted me to get a room for the third girl to stay. Her family was in Phitsanulok, she didn't have a place to stay in Chiang Mai, etc. I had to say no and left her shivering in the rain, chagrined to find the limits of my generosity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home